Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
St. Petersburg/Clearwater Name Change Attorney
                           Phone Number: 727-474-1227                                    Fax Number: 727-498-5510          
HomeAttorney ProfileChild SupportChild CustodyDivorcePaternityResourcesFAQsContact Us

AlimonyFamily LawName ChangePrice List$399 Document PreparationFamily Law Blog

St. Petersburg, FL & Clearwater, FL Name Change Attorney

At JCW Law, we routinely handle name changes for adults as well as children in the Clearwater-St. Petersburg area. Whether your name change is due to divorce, marriage, domestic partnership, adoption, or for any other reason, we can help you correctly file the necessary paperwork and guide you through the name change hearing process. Although legal proceedings can seem complicated or even intimidating, the process for a legal name change can be accomplished quickly and efficiently with the help of an experienced family law attorney.  

Adult Name Changes

When a name change is desired because of divorce or marriage, the name change can be done as part of that proceeding if a Final Judgment has not yet been entered by the court. If you wish to change your name for any other reason, you must petition the court where you reside and attend a Final Hearing. The petition must include:

  • Your current name
  • The name you want to change to
  • Your birth information and biological parents' names
  • Your family members' names
  • Your current occupation as well as the positions you have held for the last five years
  • Your education
  • Any criminal history
  • The purpose of the name change

You must also obtain state and federal background checks and fingerprints from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to accompany your petition. Once your name change is granted, you will receive a Florida Name Change Judgment, which can be used to obtain a new birth certificate. ​

Name Changes for Minor Children

Both parents must consent to a minor child’s name change. If one parent seeks a name change for a minor child, then process must be served on the other parent and proof of service must be filed with the court. When a name change is desired because of adoption, the name change can be done as part of the legal proceeding. We can help you seek a name change for your child, or challenge a name change depending on your wishes.

Reasons a Name Change May Be Denied

As long as a name change is sought for an appropriate reason, it will usually be granted. However, there are some situations in which a name change may be denied, such as when a petitioner has been convicted of a felony or has filed for bankruptcy. In these cases, the court may question whether or not you are attempting to conceal your identity.

Contact Us about Obtaining a Name Change in Florida

If you desire a name change, contact the Law Offices of Jerome C. Williams, Jr. for assistance. Or, in the alternative, please complete our Name Change Questionnaire to get things started! We can help make sure the process goes smoothly and quickly.

© 2014 - 2020 JC Williams Law. All rights reserved. 
Are you thinking about changing your name? Please contact us today to see if we can help!  We charge flat fees, and can have your name changed at an affordable cost!
Contact Us